Trusted car accident solicitors

If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, the weeks and months that follow can be overwhelming, both physically and emotionally. At Gibson & Associates LLP, we understand the toll a car accident can take and provide trusted legal advice and a compassionate hand to guide you through the process of making a claim. If you’ve been involved in a car accident, talk to a member of our team to find out about your options.

Car accident claims

In Ireland, the Injuries Board reports road traffic accidents constitute the primary source of claims, with 75% of settlements resulting from car accidents.

Car accidents come in various forms, each presenting unique challenges and legal considerations. From car crashes and collisions to accidents involving pedestrians or cyclists, each accident must be considered for its unique circumstances.

In instances where a driver is uninsured, the claims process becomes more complicated, and affects both drivers and passengers alike. Accidents caused by drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs raise significant legal issues and may result in criminal charges.

While both drivers and passengers can make car accident claims, the situation differs for each party. That’s why it’s crucial to seek guidance from a trusted legal adviser who can discuss your options and help you navigate the complexities of your specific case.

What to do if you're involved in a car accident

If you’ve been involved in a car accident, there are certain steps you should take that will be helpful should you make a personal injury claim.

Gather Witness Information: If possible, speak with witnesses at the scene and collect their contact details. Witness accounts can provide valuable evidence to support your car accident claim.

Contact the Gardai: Call the Gardai to attend the accident scene. Having a Garda Abstract Report can be crucial for an injury claim later.

Keep Documentation: Keep all medical receipts, witness details, and records of medical appointments. These documents will be essential for preparing your car accident compensation claim.

Seek Medical Attention: Ask your GP for a medical report regarding your injuries. This report will help substantiate your claim for compensation.

Consult a Solicitor: Reach out to a trusted personal injury solicitor to discuss your options for making an application to the Injuries Board regarding your car accident compensation claim.

Legal Process: Your solicitor will prepare and submit your application to the Injuries Board. They will also liaise with the defendant’s insurance company and gather all necessary details to lodge your claim effectively.

Did you know…

  • Speeding is the leading cause of car accidents in Ireland
  • Speeding accounts for 40% of fatal crashes and is the primary cause of car traffic accidents in Ireland.
  • Adhering to speed limits and other traffic laws is crucial in preventing accidents.
  • If you’re a victim of a traffic accident, consider seeking legal advice to explore your options for compensation.

About Gibson & Associates LLP

Experienced solicitors providing support to navigate your car accident claim
At Gibson & Associates LLP, we’re committed to securing the best possible outcomes for our clients.

Combining the resources and legal acumen of a large firm with the personalised touch of a smaller practice, we strive to ensure our clients feel fully supported throughout the claim process.

Our experienced team of personal injury solicitors understands the stress involved in the aftermath of a car accident and is dedicated to making the claims process as straightforward as possible.

No matter where you are in Ireland, Gibson & Associates LLP is by your side. For a confidential discussion, please reach out to our team at +353 (0)1 264 5555.

Frequently Asked Questions about car accident claims

How soon should I notify my insurance company after a car accident?

You should inform your insurance company promptly after a car accident, regardless of whether it was your fault. Even if it’s clear you’re not responsible for the accident, notifying your insurer ensures they’re aware of the situation and can carry out any necessary investigations.

For instance, if a third party later claims injuries as a passenger in another vehicle and alleges that it was your fault, notifying your insurance company helps protect your interests.

What should I do if the other party's insurance company offers assistance or payment?

If the third party’s insurance company offers assistance or payment for vehicle replacement or repairs, you can negotiate with them. Typically, vehicle damage negotiations occur early on, separate from personal injury claims.

It’s essential to assess the offer in relation to the actual damage suffered and negotiate for a fair settlement that adequately compensates you for your losses.

How much time do I have to file a car accident claim?

You should notify the other party through your solicitor within two months of the accident, informing them of your injuries and intention to make a claim. As for filing the claim itself, you have two years after the accident to do so.

The duration of processing your claim depends on various factors, including the severity of your injuries, insurance coverage, and liability acceptance by the other party.

What should I do immediately after a road traffic accident?

After a road traffic accident, put safety first and call the Garda immediately if there are injuries. If it’s a minor accident, take photos, exchange information with the other party, and mark the position of vehicles before moving them. Additionally, ensure your hazard lights are left on to alert other drivers in the area.

How do I report a traffic accident?

If there are injuries, call the Garda immediately and wait for their arrival. Otherwise, either party involved can contact the Garda and report the accident on the scene or at the nearest Garda station.

What types of compensation can I claim?

In a car accident claim, you could be eligible to claim for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, vehicle repair or replacement costs, and rehabilitation expenses. It’s essential to discuss your specific situation with an experienced solicitor to determine the types of compensation you may be entitled to claim.

Do I need a solicitor to make a car accident claim?

While it’s not mandatory to have a solicitor, having legal representation can significantly improve your chances of a successful claim. Your solicitor will manage the claims process for you, gathering evidence, negotiating with insurance companies, and advocating for your rights.

What happens if the other party denies liability for the accident?

If the other party denies liability for the accident, it may prolong the claims process and require further investigation to determine fault. In such cases, your solicitor can gather evidence, including witness statements, photographs, and expert opinions, to support your claim and establish liability.

Can I still claim compensation if I was partly to blame for the car accident?

You could still be eligible to claim compensation even if you were partly to blame for the accident. Ireland operates under a system of comparative negligence, where your compensation may be reduced based on your degree of fault. You should discuss your situation with a solicitor to understand how your level of fault may impact your claim.

Our personal injury solicitors provide trusted legal advice and guidance for people throughout Ireland who have been involved in a car accident.

Our personal injury solicitors will take the time to understand the circumstances surrounding your car accident and provide you with advice about your options and the claims process.

We know this is a stressful time and are dedicated to providing you with a level of support and compassion to give you confidence to in the claims process and achieving the very best outcome possible.

For a confidential discussion about your car accident claim, please reach out to our team on +353 1 264 5555.