Expert Legal Support for Holiday Accidents and Injuries

Unfortunately, holiday accidents and injuries can happen unexpectedly despite the best planning. At Gibson & Associates LLP, our personal injury team offers specialist advice about making a claim for compensation for people who have been injured while on holiday. Contact us now to find out how we can support you through the process.

Can I Make a Claim for a Holiday Accident or Injury?

Navigating unfamiliar legal systems abroad can be challenging, but Ireland’s Package Holidays and Travel Trade Act of 1995, protects holidaymakers.

This legislation ensures that people travelling on package holidays retain the right to lodge a claim for compensation against tour operators, regardless of where the accident occurred. Upon returning home, you have the legal standing to seek redress under Irish law, allowing you to pursue compensation for injuries sustained abroad.

Despite accidents disrupting your holiday, Ireland’s legal framework provides avenues for seeking compensation and recourse for injuries suffered while abroad.

Section 20 of the Package Holidays and Travel Trade Act 1995 empowers injured holidaymakers to bring claims for compensation in Ireland if they were injured on a foreign holiday organised by an Irish package holiday provider or travel agent.

The personal injury team at Gibson & Associates LLP can advise you about your options if you have been involved in an accident or been injured while on holiday abroad.

We can also support you through the claims process, relieving you of the paperwork burden and stress of making a personal injury claim. To find out more, please get in touch with our team on +353 (0)1 264 5555

What to Do if You Have an Accident or Are Injured While on Holiday

If you are in the unfortunate position of having a holiday accident or  there are several steps you should take which can support your claim for compensation, should you decide to make one in the future:


  • First, document the details of the accident. Include the names of any witnesses, their addresses and phone numbers, and the time of the accident.
  • Take photos of the accident scene to provide evidence of what occurred.
  • Keep receipts for the money you have spent due to the accident or injury.
  • If you undergo medical examinations or treatment, keep all medical reports and receipts for any payments made, whether directly or through your medical insurance coverage.
  • Report the accident to your travel agency or the relevant person at the hotel or accommodation where you are staying. They should be able to help you complete an accident report for the local authorities.
  • Obtain copies of all the reports filed, as they will be crucial in supporting any claim you make in the future.

Common holiday accidents and injuries

The risk of having an accident or sustaining an injury while on holiday increases simply due to the nature of activities people like to enjoy while on their break.

Unfamiliar environments and new activities, along with different road systems and left-hand drive cars, can be confusing for people travelling abroad.

Among the most common accidents and injuries on holiday are road accidents, slips and falls on slippery surfaces (especially around swimming pools), and water sports accidents.

Other accidents and injuries can happen during day trips and excursions, or as a result of poor hygiene that causes food poisoning, and defective equipment in hotel gyms or playgrounds.

About Gibson & Associates LLP

Highly experienced holiday accidents solicitors

Gibson & Associates LLP understands how stressful it can be to have had an accident or suffered an injury while on holiday.

Our personal injury solicitors are dedicated to providing you with specialist advice about your legal options and guidance should you decide to make a claim for compensation.

Whether you have been involved in a road accident, slipped by the pool or been injured by defective equipment, our team is ready to support you with tailored advice.

With our experience in handling various holiday-related claims for people across Ireland, we’ll stand by your side throughout the claim process. Reach out to us today at +353 (0)1 264 5555. to find out more.

How long do I have to bring a holiday accident claim?

If you’ve experienced an accident or injury while on holiday, you must speak to an experienced solicitor promptly to discuss your eligibility to make a claim and ensure it is lodged within the required legal timeframe.

Typically, you have two years minus one day from the date of the accident or injury to initiate a claim with the Personal Injuries Board. If you leave it longer than this to lodge a claim, your application will be invalid.

Frequently Asked Questions

What legal basis do I have for making a claim for a holiday accident?

Section 20 of the Package Holidays and Travel Trade Act 1995 in Ireland protects holidaymakers who have been in an accident or injured abroad while on a holiday booked by an Irish travel agent or package holiday company.

Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible to make a claim for financial compensation. An experienced solicitor can provide you with specialist advice about your options.

Can my travel agent help me if I have an accident while overseas?

Your travel agent has a responsibility to help you if you have an accident while on holiday. They can provide information about healthcare services, local authorities, and consular assistance if you or someone you love has had a serious accident or emergency.

Additionally, your travel agent should provide you with communication support, such as arranging long-distance calls to help you make alternative travel arrangements if they are needed.

Can I access medical treatment while abroad?

If you are travelling in Europe, you may be eligible to receive healthcare abroad either for free or at a reduced cost with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

You can use the EHIC if you’re on holiday, staying abroad for up to three months, or studying abroad for the academic year. EHIC holders can use their card in European Union (EU) member states, European Economic Area (EEA) countries, and Switzerland.

EU countries covered by the EHIC include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Republic of Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden. Participating EEA countries are Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.

What should I do immediately after a road traffic accident?

After a road traffic accident, put safety first and call the Garda immediately if there are injuries. If it’s a minor accident, take photos, exchange information with the other party, and mark the position of vehicles before moving them. Additionally, ensure your hazard lights are left on to alert other drivers in the area.

Our holiday accident solicitors are experienced in personal injury claims and will guide you through the process step by step.

At Gibson & Associates LLP, we know making a claim for a holiday accident or injury can be daunting, especially when the environment where the accident happened is unfamiliar.

That’s why our team of personal injury experts provides you with support at every step of the process: to relieve you of the stress associated with making a claim and streamlining your experience.

If you’ve been injured while on holiday and are considering a claim for compensation, speak with a member of our personal injury team at +353 1 264 5555 for a confidential discussion about your options.