https://www.gibsonandassociates.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Shaped-3.png 628 1200 Katrina https://www.gibsonandassociates.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/GibsonAss_Logo-1.png Katrina2019-10-08 08:41:012023-04-26 09:56:00What to do if you are in a Road Accident
The dark nights will soon be upon us and the autumn and winter weather can make driving even more treacherous. No one ever expects to be in an accident but unfortunately, they can happen. What can you do to protect yourself safe and those who travel with you in the aftermath of an accident? There are a few practical points we can all follow:
- In the immediate aftermath, make sure you stop your car as soon as possible. It is an offence not to. Turn off the engine and switch on your hazard lights.
- Check yourself and your passengers for any injuries.
- Call the Gardai or an ambulance immediately if anyone is hurt or if the road is blocked.
- Stay calm and take some deep breaths. Most people will feel shaken after an accident – even if it is only minor.
- You should exchange insurance details if another vehicle has been involved. If you suspect the driver does not have insurance or is drunk – call the Gardai.
From a legal/insurance perspective, you should note:
- Make and model and car registration details of all vehicles involved in the collision.
- If you have a camera/phone to hand. Take photos of the scene and the vehicles involved. As well as close shots, you should take some wider shots so that the layout of the road and the scene can be understood later if you need to instruct a solicitor or to assist your insurers.
- If you have a dash camera, you should make the footage available to Gardai, your solicitors/insurers to assist in the investigations.
- Note the time and date of the accident and the weather conditions.
- You should contact your insurance company as soon as possible after an accident to report it.
If you have been in an accident, you can contact Gibson & Associates Solicitors to assist you in resolving the matter in a stress-free manner.